Innovative thinking, creative problem-solving, and a determination to challenge the status-quo. These are some of the defining qualities for participants of our Business Insights & Analytics Leadership Development Program (BI&A LDP). This three-year rotational program is designed to grow and develop your understanding of how to leverage data for business insights and self-leadership skills. Each rotation will consist of a combination of hands-on experience, access to a robust BI curriculum, and a formal mentoring program to prepare you for a dynamic career. You will have the opportunity to explore multiple functions of analytics while learning from different leaders within Travelers.
As a Business Insights & Analytics LDP consultant, you will model the way for others and set a personal example of what is expected. You will be expected to positively challenge processes and identify new and innovative ways to get work done more effectively and efficiently. You will be expected to take initiative, embrace change, actively listen to and support diverse points of view and celebrate the success of others. If this is more than you imagined in a career in insurance, we encourage you to join us at Travelers.
This program offers optional rotations with the ability to rotate into one of the many job families of traditional business intelligence; including but not limited to: Information Delivery, Data Management, Business Performance Analytics, Data Engineering, or Business Analysis. Positions within this family work with business customers to determine how business intelligence information and analytic solutions can be leveraged to provide business insights for business strategies, capabilities, and processes.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
The program is multi-faceted and offers a business insights & analytics and business development curriculum focused on analytics, insurance, strategy, leading self and influencing others. Other program components include formal mentoring, networking and career guidance.
BI&A LDP participant duties will vary based on the specific rotation, but will be within one or more of the areas outlined below:
Participants could be placed in one of the following rotations:
Business Performance Analytics:
- Profiles data, draws business inferences, completes analysis and clearly articulates findings for a target audience.
- Holds accountability for performing less complex core tasks of Descriptive Analytics (the exploration and investigation of past business performance), partnering with team members on more complex tasks.
- Manipulates raw data sets into information fit for analysis applying needed logic or requirements from subject matter expert.
- Independently performs Data Acquisition, Prep and Exploration: reviews, prepares, basic design, and integrates data.
- Corrects minor problems and implements data cleansing/quality solutions.
- Operationalizes and automates well defined simple data products independently.
- Builds, tests, and implements simple analytic processes, including pilots and proof of concept.
- Assists in the process of eliciting, analyzing, specifying, communicating and validating business intelligence requirements while identifying project issues which require escalation.
- Manipulates, validates, and analyzes data using Excel, SQL and other analytical tools to develop insights; aids business partners with reporting, dashboard and other analytic solution to achieve their business goals.
- Learns how to inform data management of new sources and attributes for their governance, including driving improvements to data quality, and identifying data gaps to resolve issues.
- Works with delivery team to fulfill the delivery strategy for business requirements.
- Learns how to develop, automate, compile, and prepare reports, dashboards, cubes, embedded analytics, etc.
- Takes ownership of necessary components such as: Collection of data, Integration of that data, and Development (prototyping, coding, and production build).
- Learns how to complete root cause analysis and facilitates some quality assurance facets of projects.
- Learns how to inform data management of new sources and attributes for their governance.
- Aids in the data governance and metadata processes by preparing artifacts for review and submission (i.e. researching, preparing simple submissions, and data quality metrics.) Participants are expected to evolve to facilitator of data governance meetings.
- Facilitates, creates, and monitors for data quality across all domains.
- Demonstrates understanding of overall data models, data relationships, mapping lineage and business rules and participates in the creation of data models (e.g. entity design and population) and takes ownership accordingly to department requests and inquiries.
- Learns and adheres to all data management, information protection, and governance practices.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Math) required.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States now and in the future.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater.
- Previous data, general business, and/or project management experience.
- Previous property & casualty insurance experience (may include one or more data-related internship experiences).
- SQL experience strongly preferred, experience with dashboarding, scorecard, or reporting tools a plus.
- SAS and/or Python literacy.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Accountability: Strong track record of taking ownership and responsibility for actions and outcomes, performance, and results.
- Analytical and Critical Thinking: Demonstrated aptitude in identifying current or future problems or opportunities, analyzing data, synthesizing and comparing information to understand issues, identifying cause/effect relationships and exploring alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Change Management/Resilience: Ability to remain energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
- Customer Focus: Proven customer service skills with the ability to provide service excellence to internal or external clients.
- Emotional Intelligence: Demonstrated track record of self and social awareness, empathy and balances confidence with humility.
- Interpersonal: Excellent communication skills with the ability to actively engage with others while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Judgment/Decision Making: Capability of exercising sound judgment, making decisions and committing to a position.
- Leveraging Differences: Proven capacity to works with and include people from different backgrounds, experiences, cultures, races, etc. and view those differences as assets to be leveraged to accomplish business goals and objectives.
- Relationship Management: Strong relationship management skills including the ability to seek out, build, foster and maintain productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- Teamwork: Ability to work together in situations when actions are interdependent, and a team is mutually responsible to produce a result.
- Work Ethic: Possession of a strong drive to do what it takes to get the job done; inquisitive and demonstrates a strong willingness to learn.