Under close supervision, prepares state rate filings and responds to state insurance department inquiries. Completes data calls, participates in research projects and analyzes state and countrywide pricing initiatives. After initial training period, incumbents operate under Moderate Supervision. This position does not manage others.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Participates in specialized training in areas such as actuarial concepts, underwriting principles, business management, leadership/soft skills, and technical/data analysis skills. Applies increasing knowledge to assignments.
State rate filings:
- Prepares multiple states rate filings for Department of Insurance, at various stages of completion, focusing on product, pricing and regulatory issues. Typically works on 4-6 filings at a time. Involves selecting and reviewing data and preparing actuarial indications/justifications for state team review.
- Develops sensitivity analyses to assess potential impacts of rate changes on policyholders. Consults with actuarial partners on trends analysis.
- Makes recommendations to state team based on analysis of trends.
- Consults with Business and Intelligence and Analytics group on trends and pricing decisions. Based on discussions, reviews refined recommendations with State Teams on actions to take within particular states.
- Completes analyses with high level of accuracy. May include loss and production analyses, cross-market and cross-state projects, and competitive intelligence projects.
- Researches and analyzes questions/issues raised by Department of Insurance during filings. Presents recommendations to state team on response to Department of Insurance.
- Provides relevant data to internal product processing, regulatory/legal departments and State Teams in response to DOI inquiries
- Updates internal documentation with respect to periodic data pulls in advance of State Team reviews.
- Presents findings of analysis to management on a periodic basis.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree required
- Minimum of 6 months of work experience
- General Knowledge of Microsoft office products (Excel, Word, Powerpoint)
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelors degree in Business Management, Mathematics, Management Information, Finance, Actuarial Science, Economics or other Analytics-related field preferred
- 2 years of experience in data analytics preferred
- Working knowledge of Personal or Business Insurance products and systems
- Working knowledge of financial analysis, pricing techniques, and alternate distribution systems
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Technical Knowledge/Critical Thinking: Able to extract and analyze competitive data
- Team Orientation: Able to interact with others on a team
- Planning and Project Management: Ability to handle shifting priorities; strong time management skills; ability to self-direct; strong sense of urgency in meeting deadlines
- Communication Skills: Good verbal and written communications.
- Knowledge: Understands basic actuarial concepts such as loss development and trending; working understanding of competitive analysis tools.; working understanding of basic ratemaking and its application, such as profitability, risk loads, etc; working understanding of techniques and models used to forecast insurance financials; understands and is able to access available sources of Travelers and Industry trend information; working understanding of and good working relationship with claim, business centers, call centers, and information technology. Developing understanding of the workflow and terminology of these areas and their impact on PL; solid knowledge of Excel, Access, and Word.