Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) is seeking an Assistant General Counsel on its Law team who will serve as in-house legal counsel advising on state laws, legislation and regulations, and federal and state data privacy laws that are of import to the biopharmaceutical industry, its members and the patients it serves. The position is at the Deputy Vice President level within the organization.
Reporting to the Assistant General Counsel/Head of State Legal Affairs of PhRMA, the Assistant General Counsel will:
· Serve as legal counsel for state law issues, including but not limited to drug pricing and transparency policies, health insurance benefit design, Medicaid, importation, trade secrets, and IP-related policies;
· Serve as legal counsel on matters of federal and state health data privacy issues, including under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA);
· Advise on industry-related ballot initiatives;
· Provide and coordinate support to PhRMA’s State Advocacy and Policy & Research teams, as well as to the State Committee of the Board of Directors and its relevant working groups;
· Advocate on behalf of PhRMA and its members to state and local legislative and regulatory bodies, including in meetings and hearing testimony;
· Coordinate legal issue alignment with member company in-house counsel;
· Manage and supervise external counsel on issues relating to state law, legislation and regulation;
· Provide independent legal analysis and advice to internal client and member company lawyers; and
· Provide general legal back-up for PhRMA.
Key Success Factors
PhRMA seeks a collaborative, proactive, self-starter who is passionate about access to medicines and addressing the healthcare challenges we face today. The ideal candidate for this role will be a relationship builder, problem solver and analytical thinker. S/He should have a high level of emotional intelligence, professional presence and the ability to engage others and inspire confidence. Key success factors for this role include intellectual curiosity, strong interpersonal and communication skills, acute political sensitivity and diplomacy and a team focus paired with the ability to work independently. The successful candidate should be adaptable, be able to reprioritize/shift gears quickly and be comfortable in a high-pressure environment. S/He should be able to analyze legal issues and provide creative, solutions-oriented approaches to lawyers and non-lawyers alike, without reliance on others.
Professional Experience / Requirements
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested more than $600 billion in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $79.6 billion in 2018 alone.
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary and bonus program, various opportunities for reward and recognition and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, a wellbeing program, back-up care, health advocate service, employee assistance program and commuting benefits. We also offer a robust 401k plan with employer contributions upon the first day of hire and immediate vesting, a generous paid time off plan, seven paid holidays (plus inauguration day), half day Fridays preceding holidays and a paid winter break.
We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities including an integrated on-boarding program, best-in-class leadership programming, tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, and other management/professional development programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities, fundraising drives and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.