About the Internship
Each summer, Forbes selects a handful of student reporters to join the Forbes newsroom as our Editorial Intern Class. Our interns have written dozens of posts for Forbes.com and contributed to some of our biggest flagship lists, including the 30 Under 30 list, Forbes 400 ranking of the wealthiest Americans and America’s Top Colleges. Interns are assigned to a beat—Business, Education, Innovation, Lifestyle, Money, etc.—and work closely with their corresponding editor throughout the summer. You will receive support and mentorship to meet professional goals accelerate your learning and hone your writing and storytelling skills.
Our internships are our funnel to begin careers within journalism. Many of our interns have transitioned to full-time roles within our newsroom. We are looking for rising journalists who embody the Forbes entrepreneurial spirit to innovate, identify new opportunities and who are passionate about learning.
• Pitch, report and write stories on Forbes.com
• Conduct research related to list rankings (contact sources, gather documents and data, write short profiles)
• Create photo galleries and info-graphics
• Fact-check the Daily Cover Story on Forbes.com and magazine stories
• Manage social media campaigns and social engagement strategies
• Research emerging trends, prospective contributors and attend industry events specific to your team/channel
• Collaborate with Forbes staffers on special projects as needed
• Senior role at a collegiate publication, previous journalism internship OR journalism-related major
• Prior experience in fact-checking, reporting, writing and editing
• Experience with publishing platforms, current digital and social media technologies and SEO best practices
• Interest in business/entrepreneurship and understanding of basic financial terms/figures
• Ability to use multiple resources and analyze documents during research • Strong written and oral communication skills
• Ability to multitask and meet deadlines
• Language skills are a plus for international research
• Solid news judgment with understanding of journalistic standards and editorial ethics About Our Summer Intern Program
• You are a rising senior or upcoming graduate from undergraduate or graduate school. Expected graduation date must be before June 2021
• Our internships are paid.
• This internship is approximately 40 hours/week Monday-Friday.
• Internships begin on or around June 1, 2020 and will last for 10-12 weeks.
• You will be working out of our Jersey City, NJ headquarters. One stop into NJ via the PATH train. Our office is commuting distance from Manhattan neighborhoods like Greenwich Village, Union Square, Murray Hill, Chelsea, TriBeca, the Financial District.
• You will join be joining an intern class of other students that will be placed throughout our various teams (Editorial, Sales and Marketing, Digital).
• Interns are invited to weekly presentations to hear from leaders within the organization and company social events.
• Start and end dates are flexible within 1-2 weeks should your university schedule interfere with our dates)
How to Apply
• We’ll be accepting applications through February 28, 2020.
• In your application, please include:
• Your resume
• A cover letter describing yourself, why you want to intern at Forbes and what you can bring to the Forbes newsroom.
• 3 published clips (written or video clips)
• Candidates that are selected for interviews will be contacted on a rolling basis.
• All decisions are expected to be finalized by April 2020.
Forbes convenes and curates the most-influential leaders and entrepreneurs who are driving change, transforming business and making a significant impact on the world. The Forbes brand today reaches nearly 120 million people worldwide every month through the Forbes and Forbes Asia magazines, 40 licensed local editions covering more than 70 countries, Forbes.com, signature LIVE events, a custom research arm, and social and mobile platforms. Forbes Media’s brand extensions include real estate, education and financial services license agreements. For more information, visit: https://www.forbes.com/forbes-media/. Forbes is an equal opportunity employer